I was back on the mixer just after 7.30am running cement to Ray who was looking to finish of the block work on house no 3 up to Damp Course Level.
This meant more carrying of blocks around the build which had to be 1 by 1 rather than in a wheelbarrow as the ground was very muddy/boggy so Dave’s Boot camp was back on again!…and then he went and picked up another 100 blocks as we ran out!
Dave and Ray had previously discussed and planned where the waste pipes would run from which is particularly important with this house as its the furthest away from the pumping station (plus its a block and beam floor again due to trees close by) and we need to ensure it has enough fall away gradient to carry everything away. So once Ray reached the DPC level for block work we used concrete lentils and 2 bricks to enable the waste pipes to pass through building to one corner…
…by end of day we had finished all but 2 walls…
I forgot to mention that we had a plaster come in last week and today to cement under the white K-Render on walls the base of each house and Linda painted most of it black and will do the rest next week.
Coldest day on site since we had been there (felt like coldest day in history to me!!) as there was a frost on all the cars, grass and sand and the buckets of water I had left ready over night had also frozen over!!
…so we had a slight change of plan and started to plan out the patio on the smaller house before finishing the footings …and then started to lay the slab so more cement mixing/carrying and block/slab moving and by lunch time Ray had finished the patio…
After lunch the temperature had risen to a balmy 3c!!!…which was enough for us to move back to the 3rd house and finish the foundations off…
…so that is it for this year on this house and we will do the block and beam next year!!
Next we started the patio on the larger house which is about 3 times the size of the smaller patio so we kept going on that all day.
We also turned the water on from the mains on street and had a problem with the supply to one of the houses??
The meter was churning around but we had limited water pressure…and it was to the house we had put a connector on so Terry dug out the connection and after testing we were relieved to see our connection was fine and there wasn’t a leak….so next stop was to get Bristol Water out
Terry and Dave set about getting more of the fence posts and panels up…
Ray and I continued on with the Patio and almost finished it by end of day with just a few more rows to go.
I really need to get Dave and Linda to start writing the blog as well because I haven’t really been inside the houses for a few weeks so don’t know exactly what they are up to…but did see the ovens and they look fantastic…will take a photo when I am allowed in!
We did get 4 LARGE gas bottles delivered for each house so between Dave, Terry and myself we brought them into each house.
Bristol water also came out and after a few tests including a listening device they deduced that the problem looked like it was about 1 meter from road which meant it was their fault thank god. Had this not been the case then we would have had to dig the whole pipe out again to investigate.
We finished off the large patio and then built steps on both patios to the French doors and the back door (on larger house)…
…and also built 4 slabs on the side of each house to place the gas bottle on.
Last job for Ray was to build a ramp at the front of each house…obviously we would have preferred steps but these days most planning conditions require disabled access.
By end of day we had finished the ramp to the smaller house and will add photo next week.
Busy day as we had 3 guys installing Wood Fire Burners, plumbers were in fitting toilets in downstairs toilet in small house and Window installers were back to seal all the joints!
Ray finished off the 2nd ramp to larger house and he was off by 10.30am.
Dave picked up some more posts and he and Terry finished fixing all of them into position and screwing most of the fence panels in by end of day…
Bristol Water turned up to investigate the leak and found that indeed it was a problem when they installed the connection… so they fixed it quickly and now we have mains water to both houses!
It was a bit of tidy up day as well so I moved any spare blocks and bricks back to near the 3rd house ready for next year and barrowed lots of rubbish to the skip as well as tipping the rock/stone into the extra large foundation hole in 3rd property.
We also had some top soil delivered so once again I was back on the wheel barrow loading it up with soil and taking it to Terry who was raking it on the back garden of the small house first and then onto the larger house…and Dave and I will finish this off next week and then plan grass seed so it grows over the next month…
We have the tree surgeons in on Monday to put up the connecting fence between neighbour property and trim some of the trees and front and back, Jason (Tiler) will tile the small patio roofs on each house and the carpets will be installed before end of week.
The chipping for drive ways and front of house will also be delivered so will need to rake that into position so can see I will at least get another active work out week before I head off on a well needed (and deserved LOL) holiday in Sydney! …Linda even took this photo of me near end of day showing my exhaustion!!…
Took this photo as the light was fading and shows the 2 houses almost complete! 🙂